Saturday, April 28, 2012

So much to tell you!

I have been keeping a list of things I wanted to write about this week.

1. My cancer is not genetic. This is great news for my family (and sort of non-information for me)!!! What it means most importantly to me is that I have not passed this to Elizabeth and her chances of getting breast cancer, while obviously higher, are not in the 60th percentile. It means that all of my females cousins can rest a little easier knowing that their chances of having a genetic mutation on BRAC1 or BRAC2 is very small. Want to know more? I suggest checking out this website http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA

2a. What is it about farting that is so darn funny? I try and try to find my hubby's (and apparently almost all of the men that enter our home) "pull my finger" offers repulsive, but it just cracks me up that they have that much control!!! Seriously, my friend Laurie and I were talking about it at Christmas time, and it just isn't fair. Men seem to be able to just fart on command, women not so much. AND they seem to sneak out at the most embarrassing moments.... Nowadays, I am so pumped up on laxatives and softeners that most days/nights I sound like I ate an entire pot of chili for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So I say excuse me, and have stopped turning quite so red in the face and hope that it leads to a trip to the bathroom. :)

2b. There is a sub story to this topic. Kids are so excited to be like their parents. Jake is already attempting the "pull my finger" game. His latest attempt is blog worthy. (He is 4 years old in case you need a frame of reference.) He was in the bathroom and we could hear him straining. "Mom can you come pull my finger." After I compose myself, slightly, I do what any good mom would do, I go pull his finger. Nada. I wish I had a camera at that moment the look of utter disappointment and confusion on the little guys face was precious. Then he had a twinkle in his eye, held up both pointer fingers, and said, "Try two."

(I wish I could end the story there, but I feel like you just have to know that two didn't work. Poor guy was so dejected, my father-in-law and I were just about in tears from laughing so hard. Laughter is great medicine.)

3. I love hearing from former students. I love knowing where they are, and what they are doing. This week I got an email from one of my former students. She had heard about my diagnosis and wrote to offer me encouragement and all that good stuff (all of which was well written and heartfelt and appreciated). BUT what touched me the most was not any of her words, but the email address she wrote from. It was from her school account at Michigan State University. I cannot begin to tell you how much that little bit means to me. For it was her not so hot grades in my class that probably kept her from being accepted right out of high school. I have to say that it was very difficult for me to know this information. She is an amazing young woman, but she made a mistake or two in my class and as I've been known to say more than once, "Choices have consequences." She was not accepted to MSU right away. She did a year of community school, reapplied, and was accepted!!!!!!! I am so proud of her for not giving up and getting exactly what she (and I) knew she could do. Proud, proud, proud, proud. 

3. You know those sample magazines that you get in gift bags and see at the doctors office? They offer all sorts of great article ideas on the outside and nothing but ads and junior high essays on the inside? Well, I was desperate and picked one up. It was as expected, with one exception. I read an article about a woman named Kris Carr. She has some crazy cancer that is untreatable, but gratefully slow moving. She has exactly the outlook on life that I strive to have AND she wrote a book (well I think she is up to 3 at this point). It is called Crazy Sexy Cancer, and I never thought I would laugh out loud from reading a cancer book. She is honest and brash..... I will put some of my favorite quotes at the bottom of this post. I hate when a good book ends, so I have been pacing myself to make it last. (I feel like a kid at Halloween rationing the best candy.) 

4. This pacing myself lead me to check out the website that is tied to Kris's books. Crazy Sexy Life is a great forum full of supportive people. BUT I read too much, I found myself not understanding some of the shorthand. I started to look it up, then realized that I didn't know something about my own diagnosis and treatment. I figured one piece out only to find myself seeking answers to more questions, it was a vicious circle. Then I started to compare my answers to questions in the forums, which lead to me freaking myself out. Seriously, I had to stop reading and log off. I had to remind myself that I have confidence in my decisions thus far and that my course of treatment is right for me. But fear is a hard feeling to shake, and I am still seeking answers, but in a better state of mind. (AND if you are looking for a new diet plan that is about being healthy and making better choices--cancer survivor or not-- you might consider checking out Kris's latest book Crazy Sexy Diet. I'm sure it is a great read if nothing else.)

5. My port has stopped bothering me quite as much and I was able to ride my bike a few times. It felt great!!!! I even manage to do 5 push-ups the other night. I have been getting my walks in, and even pondered a slight jog (maybe soon?). My next step is to try a little yoga to build up some strength and flexibility. BUT I think I have set myself a big goal, the Disney Princess Half Marathon. It is scheduled for February 24, 2013 (which happens to line up with our Mid-Winter break for next school year). One of the things THE BOOK suggested was not so much a bucket list, but pick 5 things you have wanted to do but not made the time to do. Life has a way of making you forget to stop and smell the roses or even to dream big. So if ya want to join me for this one, the more the merrier! Disney Princess Half-Marathon

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole! I thought about sending you that book but wasn't sure if you had heard of it, or didn't want some other cancer book. ha! So glad you found her and she's great!
    I enjoyed reading all your stories and memories here.
    Glad to hear you are finishing round 1 too. Prayin' for good results.
    I will talk to you soon. xo

    ReplyDelete