Monday, October 27, 2014

A few good days to write about


As with most of my writing, I started, got distracted, and now have too much to share it all...

On October 17th, I wrote:
Today has been a VERY good day! This sitting still and listening to my body thing is seriously not my style. But today I was granted some reprieve from the ouch-ness and thought I would brag about a good day. 

I wasn't expecting today to be a good day at all, last night was rough and I didn't sleep much at all--just didn't get the pain meds timed right. When I awoke, I did the little shimmy wiggle thing I have to do now to sit up in bed, and while the pressure on my chest was tremendous it was manageable. I let the sleep fog dissipate for a bit with a few games of Candy Crush. Then I was able to take a warm shower, notice it was warm and not hot..... (reason #1 for good and not great day) And since the warmth relaxed my chest muscles I did a little tidying in my room. 

Then I made way downstairs to do some sitting and resting.

When my father-in-law, AKA babysitter extraordinaire, arrived to help me with lunch I asked if he would also take me to the Secretary of State to get my enhanced driver's license (since the mobile app said there was only a 31 minute wait).  He even let me convince him to make a detour to the grocery store. Apple pie makes people do strange things this time of year.... While we were unsuccessful in our hunt for an apple pie--to quench my craving for MacQueen's Dutch Apple pie--I did manage to sneak and put things in the cart all by myself. I felt like a little kid getting away with putting stuff in the cart. (too bad it was greek yogurt, bananas, Thomas's bagels, and some fruit)


On October 21st, I should have written (but I was too excited):
I got to drive today!!!!!!! Not quite strong enough for any long distances, but I can do some basic errand stuff!!!! There are not enough exclamation points to show how exciting this is for me.


Today is October 27th:
At my expansion appointment the doctor and I discussed several things, first was size (insert your favorite "it matters" joke here). Did you know that it is important to over expand to give the doctor more room to make the Franken-boobs pretty? Yeah, me either. AND a dear friend offered up the advice to "go big or go home" which led to my new found knowledge that it is a pretty easy surgery to change out implants if you are unsatisfied with the bigger, bolder version. Oh the conversations you never thought you'd be having....

Then he took out the wire-like stitches. Which actually hurt. Way more than the little tug he described. Attention doctors, just because you use the word little and you aren't exerting a huge effort doesn't mean that it feels that way on the receiving end. Oh, and a word to the wise, if there are a lot of steri-strips on your incision it isn't because the doctor let your kids play with the band-aids. That is one HECK of a battle scar:


But the highlight was talking seriously about going back to work. I'm not ready yet, but maybe in two weeks. I need to work on getting physically stronger by doing the "duh stuff" that everyone needs to do to be a little healthier (drink water, eat more fruits and veggies, exercise--for me that is walking for now--blah, blah, blah).

My biggest take away from this part of the conversation was the realization that outside of our own occupation we as adults have no idea what it really takes to do a job that is not our own. The interactions that just make the entire day more wonderful and those that make you shake your head or roll your eyes are all different, but we all have them. For me, knowing when I will be well enough to get back to my classroom, my passion, will be directly tied to knowing that I am ready to be fully present for both the wonderful and the difficult parts of the job.

(My apologies to English teachers and well-trained writers/reader everywhere for the horrid grammar in this post and for the last paragraph that is so disconnected and conclusion-less.)


No comments:

Post a Comment