Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Glad Game Sucks

If you have never met my mother, you are missing out on one of the most awesome individuals you can imagine. If you have met her, then you have been infuriated by her endless creativity and positiveness at one point or another. I can only imagine how many of you are laughing hysterically because you know how many times you have wanted to say, "________ (she wears a lot of hats, so put your title for her here) get a grip," only to decide that she was the one who had one and you were in need of perspective or growth. Growing up with this woman, who seems to glide miraculously through things that tear other people to shreds, has made me the person I am today. 

BUT (there is always a BUT) Mom, you forgot to remind me that Pollyanna had to endure a whole lot of crap before she learned that the Glad Game was worth it. Any game that starts with getting crutches instead of a doll, includes losing your dad, being moved into a hostile environment, and requires you to fall out of a tree (or get hit by a car, depending on if you are reading or watching), break your legs, and learn to walk again in order for everything to work out...why the hell is this your favorite?!?!?! :)

Oh, it is because when those test results come back and the doctor says it's cancer again. You can truly see the positive in his words. It isn't a recurrence, it is a new cancer (this one I am still working for the silver lining so don't ask me). It is Stage 0, very early=very good. It is "in situ", inside the ducts, not in the regular breast tissue=good. I think that non-invasive is tied to in situ, but I like non-invasive enough that it gets its own sentence. All of those mean that I will have another lumpectomy and more radiation, but no systemic treatment=no chemo.

It took a few days to get my mind to accept this new turn and to understand that my path just wasn't complete yet. But at least I didn't need to whole town to come calling to make me play the Glad Game. 

Thanks Mom!!! (Freaking Pollyanna wins again.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment