Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dance Party Weekend

This weekend the Sturgeon family had FUN!

Saturday, I took my Thirty-One bags and set up a vendor table at the Michigan Pole Dancing, Aerial Arts, and Vaudeville Festival. My friend Julie came as my assistant and we had a blast. While the business side of being there wasn't so great, we made new friends and did some behind the scenes work to help keep the video rolling. Julie had a chance to get in some practice time on the silks. Our table happened to be right next to Alethea Austin who was kind and danced like no other. (Yes, I got her autograph and a sweatshirt and leg warmers.) After reading her bio (see link above), I have a new found respect for her and her wish I had taken more opportunity to talk with her. I will be stealing her "push past" mantra as often as I need it in the next few weeks. In addition to Alethea there were performers from all over the midwest. The level of support and kindness given to each performer was incredible. I knew that the pole community was fun and friendly, but I couldn't have speculated on the depth and breadth of support to one another. It just make me consider performing next year. I'm thinking my stage name will be Lola Lot or Lady Lumps...... or perhaps I will find something better in the coming months. OR perhaps I will decide not to perform, but instead be a part of the crew again. Either way, I can't wait to see what next year brings to this event.

Sunday, was our house warming and Jakob's 4th birthday party. WOW is all I can say. The number of friends and family that came over to celebrate was incredible. It was such a fun day of tours of our house and playing with kids. Remembering old times with friends we haven't seen in a while. Some people just popped in for a few minutes, some stayed all day, everyone made me smile. Aunt Maria shaved Uncle Kevin's head and beard in the backyard. I embarrassed myself in talking about doors with a cousin. My Uncle Paul was in from Pennsylvania and came up from Toledo with my mom. Toasts for health and happiness were made. We are so loved.

We can't wait for our next shindig!

Oh, ladies who are interested in trying out pole dancing are invited to come on March 31st to Pole Addiction in Ferndale. Julie and I have a private party scheduled from 7-9pm. I may not be able to play along, but I am planning to be there!!! Let me know if you are coming so we are sure to have enough instructors.

No comments:

Post a Comment